Meetings' Structure was: How is ITEC going?

Chris Bier chris.bier at cymor.com
Thu Oct 17 23:49:38 CDT 2002

The biggest thing I see missing is printing.  This can be a
killer.

Chris

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 13:52, Patrick M wrote:
> I am going to take this as a RFC or in this case Request For Topic
Ideas.
> I think we have already heard of some and will hear of more as time
passes.
> Any of the Differences between X & Y could be hot topic points for
> experienced users.
>
>  From the list of topics would say pick a major and minor topic, and
let
> people choose between the two at the meeting. The ones with ** I
> consider smaller but still very important. Down the road they can be
> discussed in detail. I see there is already demo days, but what is
going
> to be demo'ed, and is it going to be organized? I see at least 6
months
> of topics below:
>
> --Differences in Distributions.
> --Differences in X windows: Gnome, KDE, etc.--Over view
>       Using diferent X servers -- More detailed--either break out
> session or whole meeting
>             Tweaking and personalising your desktop.
> --Samba--networking in a windows world.
> --Firewall
> **Office applications Open Office, Star office, Corel, etc.... Show
that
> you can really do everything easily
> --Apache--other web servers
> **Graphic applications
> **Web browsers
> **Burning CD's
> --Security Detailed
> **Security Basic Common sence
> **Open source (ideals and philociphy)
> **Netiquite
> **RTFM -- Include the idea of patience, and thinking things out.
> --Gaming
> --Package managers... tar... gz... installing stuff... and more
> --Installfest
> --Kids and linux
> -*MTA -- Mail transfer agents
> **DNS
> **Sound
> **Text editors -- vi
> --SQL
>
> Here is a list Jim Herman put forth:
>
> Kmail, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon, Evolution, Xine, XMMS, Gphoto, KDE
desktop, Gnome desktop, IceWM, OpenOffice.org, GNUcash, Koffice,
Eroaster, X-CD-Roast, Kate, KDevelop, Gcc, Desktop Themes, User
Administration, Package installation, compiling kernals, compiling
applications, PDA use, video editing, chat clients, Ghost Script/Ghost
View, VNC, remote shells, remote X windows, FTP clients, etc.

> LCD projectors have been offered by: Jason Clinton and Vatterott
College

majordomo at kclug.org