Meetings' Structure was: How is ITEC going?

Patrick M pert at tas-kc.com
Thu Oct 17 13:46:21 CDT 2002

I am going to take this as a RFC or in this case Request For Topic Ideas.
I think we have already heard of some and will hear of more as time passes.
Any of the Differences between X & Y could be hot topic points for
experienced users.

 From the list of topics would say pick a major and minor topic, and let
people choose between the two at the meeting. The ones with ** I
consider smaller but still very important. Down the road they can be
discussed in detail. I see there is already demo days, but what is going
to be demo'ed, and is it going to be organized? I see at least 6 months
of topics below:

--Differences in Distributions.
--Differences in X windows: Gnome, KDE, etc.--Over view
      Using diferent X servers -- More detailed--either break out
session or whole meeting
            Tweaking and personalising your desktop.
--Samba--networking in a windows world.
--Firewall
**Office applications Open Office, Star office, Corel, etc.... Show that
you can really do everything easily
--Apache--other web servers
**Graphic applications
**Web browsers
**Burning CD's
--Security Detailed
**Security Basic Common sence
**Open source (ideals and philociphy)
**Netiquite
**RTFM -- Include the idea of patience, and thinking things out.
--Gaming
--Package managers... tar... gz... installing stuff... and more
--Installfest
--Kids and linux
-*MTA -- Mail transfer agents
**DNS
**Sound
**Text editors -- vi
--SQL

Here is a list Jim Herman put forth:

Kmail, Mozilla, Konqueror, Galeon, Evolution, Xine, XMMS, Gphoto, KDE desktop, Gnome desktop,
IceWM, OpenOffice.org, GNUcash, Koffice, Eroaster, X-CD-Roast, Kate, KDevelop, Gcc, Desktop Themes,
User Administration, Package installation, compiling kernals, compiling applications, PDA use,
video editing, chat clients, Ghost Script/Ghost View, VNC, remote shells, remote X windows, FTP
clients, etc.

LCD projectors have been offered by: Jason Clinton and Vatterott College
(Aaron)