RH 8.0 Network not working

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Oct 16 18:13:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, jo mojo wrote:

> I installed RH 8.0 on my machine yesterday night, after yesterday
> meeting. Few problems: 1. Cannot connect to internet. I checked the
> light on the NIC card, and it's on (both green and orange). Btw, I have
> a smc router (DHCP) between my 3Com Road Runner Modem and PCs. All Win
> PC can connect to network. How should I configure it?

I'm a GUI newbie and all I know are shell commands.  Please forgive.  Is
the card's driver loaded?  From a root shell:

cat /proc/modules

and see if your network card is listed.

If so, see if it shows up with an ethernet address:

/sbin/ifconfig

and you should see an entry for eth0, the first ethernet adaptor.  Does it
have an address (inet addr:) associated with it?

If it got that far, you should be able to ping other boxes with it.  If it
doesn't have an address, you might need to run the dhcpd daemon through a
script or however redhat does it.  If it does have an address and you
can't ping anything, a firewall might be set up within redhat or somewhere
else blocking packets.

> 2. RH 8.0 GUI seems to run quite slow. I think PII 450 w/ 128 Meg of RAM
> should be fast enough, right? Is there any setting I need to adjust?

I'd hope so.  There is another shell utility called "top" that will give
you an idea what processes are using all the CPU and memory.  Redhat may
have a menu of things you can remove to speed things up.