meetings and broken monitors

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Wed Oct 16 10:52:32 CDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, DAVID KUCHARSKI wrote:

> I'll take you up on that one! I've got several Monitors that need help!!
> One is just not very bright anymore - I think it REALLY is a goner, i
> think the phosphors in the screen are failing. another is just "flaky"
> it appears fine then turns MILKY white and fuzzy.  If you WHACK it just
> right it straightens right out FOR A WHILE - then we repeat the process.
> I could bring both to the next meeting if you wanted something for a
> demo!! I could supply any $ for parts if it's not too much, otherwise
> they will just get trashed.

I believe its called the "saturation" potentiometer on the side of the
flyback transformer.  For some reason, it can become dirty or burned and
giving it a slight twist will move the adjustment out of the dead spot.
You can make your screen bright as the sun with this.... Next to it is the
focus adjustment.  It sounds like it is loose too.  Or something around in
that area.  The flyback transfomer is the hottest area of the monitor, so
its typical for solder to crack from thermal expansion and other parts to
be fatigued.  It might cost you a few inches of solder to get this fixed.
But I can do it for free.