Structuring of KCLUG [Was: Re: How is ITEC going?]

Patrick M pert at tas-kc.com
Tue Oct 15 15:49:03 CDT 2002

Jason, the first 20-30 minutes can be newbie time. Why add the structure
of another day when you can just start with something, and break up into
social hour (kclug already meets twice a month a tuesday and wednesday).
If you are not interested in the presentation then come 20 minutes late
or go strait to Dennys. I know Kclug has had some focus in the past....
Discussion of various topics, TCP/IP, firewalls, etc. Just put up a
schedule and mention it in the meeting reminder.

Being held at a library kclug should be more educational and less
"social". Kulua is social, and it is more accepted/understood to be that
way since it is held at homes. -- there technical stuff is talked about
in IRC, and even a little via email.

As far ad Beginner vs experienced, Split the room in two, wait till
after the initial presentation is over, or designate tuesdays and
wednesdays to be different, or mention the skill level of the project of
the day and welcome all.

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Jim Herrmann wrote:
> | Steve makes a good point.  Perhaps our group is growing enough that
> more
> | structure is warranted.  I think the "Installfest" and "Demoday"
> concepts are
> | out dated.  Linux is moving on, and so should our group.  I think
> having
> | someone show off some piece of software each meeting would be a great
> idea.
> | It wouldn't have to be the whole meting, just 20-30 minutes of it.
> If we

<snip>