TNT2 with TV out

Patrick Thurmond p_thurmond at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 00:47:09 CDT 2002

Though I have yet to experience TV out on Linux, I too will be setting up Linux on a system soon
that has TV out. Its a Gateway Solo 5300 laptop. I have already found a config page on how to setup
the laptop with Linux with little problems however am yet to find one relating to the TV out
portion of the video card. I am not sure about resolutions in Linux and how they may differ on
strange outputs (I.E. TV out, DVI, S-Video, etc.) however I doubt its much, if any, different than
windows. The laptop I will be doing this on has trouble fitting a screen with a resolution higher
than 640x480 in Windows. There is only one video card I have ever seen that can achieve a higher
successful screen fit resolution than this. That is the Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 and up. I suspect
most newer cards put out by Nvidia and ATI will support the higher resolution. The Geforce 4 Ti4200
I have on my desktop gets 1024x768 as its best resolution on TV out.
Does anyone know of any special settings I would have to use or special software I would have to
use to achieve the TV out on the laptop I spoke of above???
-Patrick
Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> wrote:During my little "Linux on my main 'puter"
experiment this summer, I was
amazed that the Mandrake 8.2 found my Huppauge Video/Tuner card and
correctly let it play. It was very weird to have videos coming up without
a Windoze product. I'd love to build another box sometime soon, but alas I
decided a DVD player was in the cards. 3 VCR's to the trash (all broken)
and additional new VCR to the downstairs, plus a 2 line cordless phone.
Best Buy loved me tonight.

Bradley Miller, Owner/Programmer/Designer
AccessZone Design - www.accesszonedesign.com
Blue Springs, Missouri
Phone: 816-228-3814 Fax: 775-254-6162
Toll-free: 888-872-4420 ICQ: 48555780