New member, and a little quick question..

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Tue Oct 8 09:25:25 CDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> As I recall, RedHat doesn't default to picking up the DNS info when
> you get your DHCP info via PPP.  There are ways to fix this, but first we
> need to know if you're on an ISP that is sending the info in the first place
> - some still don't.

I think out of the box, if during the install you specify DHCP it will
pick it up that way.  I've done it both ways, and never had a problem
picking up DNS via DHCP - the catch being if this is your desire, you
shouldn't make manual entries.

> If you're running the system as a firewall, you may want to do a caching
> DNS; if you're not just use the ISP's.

The default install will also punch a hole through the firewall script
for any nameservers that get placed in /etc/resolv.conf

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "One Architecture, One OS" also         |
| 913.579.7117                | translates as "One Egg, One Basket".    |