Hardware vs Software Raid in RH 7.x

Steven Hildreth s_p_hildreth at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 10 23:12:55 CST 2002

I would like to offer some info about the latest server I just finished
(Friday Night) building for work.

It has two RAID arrays being used, one is a software array using Six Quantum
6 gb UW (20 Mb Transfer rate) SCSI drives and I have them in a single
striped RAID 0, to be used for backup purposes. The second RAID is a RAID
0/1 using 4 60 gb IDE Maxtor ATA100 Drives and the onboard Highpoint HP370A
controller (which gives me a 104 usable ext3 formatted partition).

I have one of the array's mounted at /storage and the other as /hpt (guess
you can figure out which is which :)

This server is a SAMBA server, and the only benchmark testing I have done is
from a Windows XP LAN workstation. Transferring a 540 Mb ISO File onto one
of the shares (stored on the /storage point) and to another share (on the
/hpt point) the time differences where 58  seconds for the /storage and 51
for the /hpt.

Not really answering your questions, just thought someone might find it
interesting.

Regards,
Steven