FrontPage Extensions

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Mar 6 22:13:36 CST 2002

> OK - slow down. :) My comments are inline:
Sorry, I tend to be a bit hyper. Caffeine and other stimulants tend to
slow me down though.
;)

> First of all, it's the version of Apache that came on my Red
> Hat 7.0 install
> CD's. I never really "installed" it... it was just there when
> I installed
> Linux.
Ok.

> When I type "whereis httpd" I get /usr/sbin/httpd and
> /etc/httpd. Which is
> the correct value?
"which httpd" will report /usr/sbin/httpd. That is your httpd server the
other
value is a directory.

> >httpd.conf may also be in your apache directory (which is
> where ever you
> >installed it)
> >access.conf and srm.con see above
>
> I used "whereis" to locate httpd.conf. It's in
> /etc/htpd/conf/httd.conf.
> Again, I didn't "install  it" there... that's where the Red
> Hat CD put it.
I would look there for the other files. If not there read the httpd.conf
to see if they are listed in there. Whereis may be able to help or find.

Or some other tools I'm not really familiar with.

> >create a user called web if it doesn't exist give it a UID
> of ?? where
> >?? > 15 and create a group called web with a GID > 21.
> >then chown -R <UID>.<GID> on the content directory (I think it is -R,
> >check the man page to find the recurse directories option)
>
> I am not sure what you're talking about. I've got a user
> ("webmaster") who
> has ownership rights over the web directories... it that good
> enough? How
> can I check his UID and GID?
type "cat /etc/passwd | grep webmaster" for the UID. You will need to do
a long listing on the directories to find the group name and that GID
can be found in /etc/group

> >But you really need to upgrade that is a buggy, insecure version.
>
> It's on my office IntraNet... security is not really an
> issue. Reliability
> is - how tough is the upgrade?
Not hard if you use the right tool.
http://www.apachetoolbox.com/ this will do most of the work for you. I'm
surprised RH 7.1 has such an old version of apache. Also you can check
out the changes made since your version here
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/CHANGES_1.3. Funny I didn't find
version 1.2.12 (must be a redhat modified version). So you'll probably
have to compare the change log installed on your system to see what the
fixed after the last 1.2 version.

Hope this helps,
Brian