Speed and not Compiling.

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Sat Mar 2 04:23:50 CST 2002

Heck, Windows does that to me on it's own all the time.

You know, the worst lockups I've had in Linux were when the GUI froze and
wouldn't accept input, so I couldn't kill it or switch windows.  Only
alternatives were to telnet or ssh in from another box and kill the server,
but I couldn't do that because it was a fairly fresh install of Mandrake and
was all locked up tight from outside intrusion, so reset button it was.

But yeah, I know I could pare back a lot, especially from what KDE runs.
Thing is, I like all the feature foo and eye candy!  Now I know why *NIX
workstations were always five-figure boxes!

If I needed to really work in Linux, of course, I could, I can use Lynx, and
Galeon isn't too slow, and if I ran Pine in a shell it would do everything I
need of a mail client.  I could pare down the feature bloat, and tune the
system, and find the tools and get 'em working.

But when I need to get something done, it's easier to just "lilo -R windows;
shutdown -r now".

It's great to have Linux around - it's like a good Swiss Army Knife.