ghosting

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Thu Jun 27 21:28:53 CDT 2002

Depending on how you've set up her machine, you may be able to use ghost to create an image of the
system partition on a separate partition on the drive.  I would suggest setting the system up with
at least a system and a data partition anyway.  Then you can set up at least some critical
applications (Office, IE) to dump files onto that partition.  This makes it pretty easy to restore
ghosted system partition and still preserve all those papers and such.  So, I would suggest you
fdisk the drive with two partitions, one for system stuff (windows, programs, etc) and one for
data.  Install your basic build with the necessary bare bones apps.  And then, if the data
partition is large enough, you should be able to then use ghost to create an image of your system
drive on the data partition.  From there you should be able to create a cd with the image on it
using whatever burning software you desire.  Another option is to stick a second drive into the
system to create the image of!
 your system partition on and then copy the image from that drive to a cd.  With a little boot disk
and bootable cd magic you should be able to create a great little emergency restore disk.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Thanks.
Rob