gps

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Jun 24 18:15:46 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <dattaway at attaway.net>

> Also looking for surplus microwave antennas.  Many people suggest pringles
> cans, but I'm looking for the usual heavy duty outdoor stuff (sturdy
> enough for motorcycle duty.)  Know where I am going with this?

If you're looking for a gps antenna, a Pringles can is not good - too
directional.  You need an omnidirectional unit.

If you're warsurfing, you probably want omni as well.

The Pringles can is actually pretty durable, good strength-to-mass ratio.
If you wanted a portable rig you could aim back at home base like the TV
trucks use, it would be a good choice.

You won't find much surplus, since this is all fairly new technology, but:

Electronics Surplus in Independence
Aircraft Surplus in Mirriam
    Check with AS for the name of the Aircraft junkyard East of town.

Find out the frequency/wavelength you're looking for first.