Wal-Mart shipping PCs with Lindows preinstalled

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Jun 20 17:17:42 CDT 2002

This would be the best bet.  I have converted old PC's and built them
from scratch, and it is much easier to install Linux on a machine that
was put together specifically for linux.

Selecting hardware with KNOWN good drivers makes Linux installation and
use MUCH easier.  These computers are aimed toward those that haven't
got computers yet or are buying an inexpensive machine to
replace/augment the computer in a household.

Lindows is supposed to be able to run a lot of 'doze software because it
understands the 'doze API's.  This will be good for most of the basic
software out their, but the really high end graphic stuff may cause
problems for Granny (or Junior) right out of the box.

I plan the check the equipment out and advise those I know about what
they can and can not do.  For some, it will be a great choice and a good
way to escape the endless hamster wheel of hardware/software upgrades.