Fried NT workstation . . . . stupid question but . . . .

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Jun 19 17:41:46 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

> Solution 2: if a dual boot box:
>  a) boot Linux,
>  b) Install cabextract,
>  c) mount NT partition,
>  d) download NT files from (I will not utter that language here) site,
>  e) extract needed files with cabextract
>  f) shutdown and try out NT.

Has there been an improvement in the write-enabled NTFS driver?  Last I
heard it was read-only.

If it's an NTFS partition, he has to either use the install disks and hope
he has a recovery disk, and try to recover.  If no recover disk, or it's not
current, he may be able to recover anyway, since he's just doing system
files not registry entries.

If that won't work, he can install NT to a new location (new folder such as
winnt2), copy the affected files to the old directory, and use NT's
multi-boot loader to boot back to the old folder.

In either of the above cases, he needs the NT Workstation CD.

If it's a DOS partition, I just sent him the files, and he may be able to
recover.