Wal-Mart shipping PCs with Lindows preinstalled

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Tue Jun 18 16:34:52 CDT 2002

Two things:

1) Only "store PC" I have is a HP Pavilion (333Mhz AMD-K2?) and I
absolutely hate that machine.  I went round and round trying to figure out
problems with it and a new harddrive.  The old one finally was giving me
fits and their tech support was not responsive at all to my problems.  I
eventually got it back working and most of the "demons" excersied from it .
. . but I think it needs a new excorcism (Win 98).

  The rest of my boxen are stratch builds, from 3 P200 systems, 2 Linux, 1
Win and then my main computer (P400) and rest are odds ends.  (P120 with
Mandrake Linux, P133? with Peanut Linux).

2) I fielded a call today, no sound on a Windows 98 box.  The person had
installed their "restore CD" for an Emachine PC and I guess had got to the
point of needing a device driver for the sound card.   I'm not going to say
Windows is that much better than Linux on this issue -- but WHY CAN'T WE
JUST HAVE A SYSTEM THAT HELPS PEOPLE A BIT MORE???   As much as Windows
holds the user's hand, it still isn't good enough.

-- Bradley Miller