What's wrong with the market?

Marvin Bellamy mbellamy at kc.rr.com
Fri Jun 7 04:23:03 CDT 2002

I completely disagree with you here.  A lot of investors got themselves
into trouble by throwing good money at bad tech ideas.  With all that
cash on hand, a lot of worthless companies bloated which flooded the
market with way too many techies like us.  The stock market is a weak
indicator of the strength of our economy and so it follows that pumping
up companies with your money just to get the Dow over 11000 is just as
pointless.  This is the biggest myth about macroeconomics.  Listen to
the anecdotal evidence around you.  Jobs have disappeared with no hint
of a recovery coming, and you're telling people with reduced incomes to
spend, spend, spend?  The economy will get better when people start
making solid investments, not by propping up limping mega corporations
with your safety net.  Save your dollars people, but if you have the
money and job security buy that house or new car at a much reduced
interest rate.

While I agree that the real threat against the average citizen is
astronomically low, I don't at the same time think anyone should be
racking up even *more* credit card debt.  That was one of the dumbest
things our politicians could have told us.  Hey, maybe they want to
share some of their million-dollar estates for that little jaunt to
Tahiti I've been putting off?  Puh-leeze.