What's wrong with the market?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Jun 6 20:00:08 CDT 2002

Ok, I guess I started this from someone's off the cuff remark, so let me
also add these thoughts:

Is there a final breaking point for people vs. services vs. availbility?
Will there always be jobs for everyone?   With urban sprawl you need more
post office delivery people and they burn more fuel/etc...  But how many
people will deliver mail down the road?  Does the number of people dying
off from old age balance out the number of new people?  Does it make more
jobs?  It's pretty sad to think about people scouring the obituaries just
to say "oh - she worked at Blah Blah company . . . bet they need a new AR
person now!"

I'll second the motion that some people are just not cut out for
IT/computer/etc... related things.   It's like the great web boom of the
1997-1999 or so.  Everyone and their brother was a web designer all the
sudden . . . but those that could do it and those that do it well are two
different things.  We were pushing web based dynamic database driven web
sites back in 1997 . . . finally people are seeing the light.

Part of the problem for companies (IMHO) is it's hard to put a "John in IT
department earned us $$$,$$$ this year" unless they a really work hard at
it.

-- Bradley Miller