What's wrong with the market?

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Jun 6 03:47:30 CDT 2002

That is another result of business "leaders" that have their heads
planted firmly in their backsides!  Back in the '70's and '80's I asked
what we would do when year 2000 rolled around and I was told 'you don't
need to worry about that, we have it under control'.  Then in the late
'90's these same exec's start blustering about how badly I/T bungled the
problem.

During all the big hiring pushes in '97 - '99 my company even paid the
I/t people 15 to 20 percent yearly y2k retention bonuses to stick around
through the summer of 2001.  When they announced the bonus I asked,
"What happens in the summer of 2001 when Y2K is over?"  The response
was, "Oh, don't worry, we will have LOTS for you to do!".

Yeah, Right!!  Filing unemployment forms, looking for help wanted ads,
and mailing resumes!  Not really what I am trained for, but on the plus
side, I don't have to put up with a garbage OS mandated by a gaggle of
Harvard MBA's that can't count past ten with their shoes on!