Another hole in IE

KRFinch at dstsystems.com KRFinch at dstsystems.com
Wed Jun 5 22:10:53 CDT 2002

I've banned most of the adservers from my IE by just listing them as having
an IP address of 127.0.0.1 in my hosts and lmhosts files.  That way the
browser looks locally for the files, and finds nothing.  Unfortunately,
Windows DHCP might override these listings on a LAN in Win2k (ask me
offline for details), but it works great browsing over dialup.  I suppose
you could do similar "wrong-address-redirection-ad-blocking" with firewall
configurations, if you wanted by locally overriding DNS entries for those
adservers.

If you want a list of the adserver names I have collected so you can do
this trick yourself, let me know.

Kevin Finch
Network Administrator
DST Systems, Inc.
816/435-6039
krfinch at dstsystems.com

                    ""Marvin

                    \"GodfatherofSoul\        To:

                    " Bellamy""                  cc:     kclug at kclug.org

                    <mbellamy at kc.rr.com>          Subject:     Re: Another hole in IE

                    Sent by:

                    owner-kclug at marauder.i

                    lliana.net

                    06/05/2002 05:07 PM

I've always thought the browser makers are in bed with advertisers.  I'm
sure their biggest complaints relate to aggressive advertising tactics,
yet the big two browsers provide little or no support for toggling any
of these features.  Can you imagine being able to turn off graphics
(read: ads) in IE?