DNS Issues

Jerry Place place at umkc.edu
Thu Jun 6 01:06:32 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 04:45 pm, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> Ok, it looks like RoadRunner is not changing IP addresses these
> days even for basic rate accounts.  That means theoretically I
> could take a domain name that's "parked" at Verisign and point it
> at my RR IP.
>
> Could someone familiar with the process give me some pointers on
> doing this?

LugNuts:

   My experience with RR is that your IP address changes
infrequently.  My systems were shut down last Thursday thru Sunday
for a little trip to Chicago.  When I restarted my NetGear router and
systems I had a new IP address from RR.  Had I left my router on, the
IP address would not have changed.

   To keep up with this, I use DYNDNS.ORG and have a static IP
address that I manually update whenever RR infrequently changes my IP
address.  Of course the router provides an excellent firewall and is
trivial to set up and operate.

   I use port forwarding to differentiate the two Linux systems when
I SSH into them from my office.  This allows me to keep two full data
mirrors plus I have easy access to the two remote systems.  Port
forwarding also allows me to set up a secondary HTTP server from home
as a backup to my office server.

   Incidentally, RR will not give me another IP address.  I suspect
they are using port monitoring to identify my first 48 bit NIC
address and when they see packets with another NIC address, they
refuse the DHCP request and I can't direct connect another system to
my cable modem, thus I use NAT through the router to keep both my
systems up and on line.  Pretty slick and easy to administer.
--

Regards,

Jerry P. Place
UMKC School of Interdisciplinary