gentoo linux

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Wed Jan 30 21:34:18 CST 2002

I got the grub problem fixed, I mis-read the instructions for the name of
the grub config file.  I had menu.1st instead of menu.lst.  That problem
fixed, I was left with a non-functioning system.  I had (stress the HAD)
gentoo installed in 5 partitions, as hinted at in the docs.  I added a /usr,
/share and a /var to the default /boot swap and /.  The docs state: "if you
are setting up Gentoo Linux with a separate /usr or /var, these would get
mounted to /mnt/gentoo/usr and /mnt/gentoo/var, respectively."

I did this (I thought) and the system hapily updated and installed.  I have
now found that the partition that I created for /usr is totally empty.  I
did not see any errors stating that it could not copy files to /usr, and I
hunted around quite a bit and can't see any of the files that should be
there.  Whole partition is just blank. The / part contains a blank /usr
(mount point, really) and the /usr partition is just empty.  The distro
appears to put lots of stuff there (and rightly so) during install, I don't
know what happened to it.

I wiped the machine, set up _just_ the partitions that they recommend, and
am currently re-installing everything.  No loss, the machine was empty when
I started...  Just time.  I'll add the /share partition when I'm done, and I
guess I'll just leave /usr and /var on /.

Anyway, I'll let you all know when I complete the update (it's running
emerge system now) how it turns out.

Chris Midkiff