New distro

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 23:19:14 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Densmore <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>
To: <kclug at kclug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 3:07 PM
Subject: RE: mandrake's mods to the OS (was Re: New distro)

> Update on new distro. Downloaded linuxfromscratch and gentoo linux
> yesterday. Asked Ximian to use their gnome branch. Will be studying this
> week.

Brian,

Since it looks like you are well on the road to doing this now... just a few
suggestions, if I may (kind of a "I don't have time to do this myself right
now, but if I were):  I would start out by referencing the Power Up To Bash
Prompt (http://www.netspace.net.au/~gok/power2bash/) and Linux From Scratch
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/3.1/) documentation.  These will tell
you what elements are absolutely necessary for the OS.  I think I would use
Debian as the base, as I believe it is still considered by most to be the
"purest" GNU/Linux distro (follows the File System Hierarchical Standard
more closely, etc.  Not to mention, it seems I read a few months ago that
Apt's author added support for RPM's...)  At some point, you might want to
consider adding some kind of CVS support for the project so others can
participate.  I'm not really up to speed on how you'd do that, though...
(translation=I know it's out there, but I haven't had a need for it and have
been otherwise too lazy to check it out...)