cameras

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Tue Jan 29 19:36:19 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bradley Miller" <bradmiller at dslonramp.com>

So you're trying to do this with a stand-alone web cam?

You will need to have good white balance, and you'll need a decent lenz, but
you should get decent enough pictures.  Limiting the size to 640x480 helps
keep the load times reasonable, and is really about as good as people expect
for the web.  Most digital cameras have automatic light level adjustment
without the use of a physical iris like a film camera.

If you have the option of supporting the camera with a PC or laptop, most of
the digital cameras these days offer a "movie" mode, and will stream to the
PC.  You can then use software to take regular snapshots and post them with
a script (I've done this with a feebie PCI web cam I got from my dad).

If you really want large, professional film quality pictures, you're going
to have to go to about $3,000 worth of professional digital camera with a
workstation to support it, and you may have to do more than just put it on a
mount and point it.