Back to Linux . . . cameras

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.org
Tue Jan 29 16:33:28 CST 2002

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but my Kodak DC215 has a little
command line utility (from freshmeat.net) that can take control over the
camera, such as snapping pictures, returning specific size jpgs, etc.
Also I hear many of these Kodaks can be flashed with nifty programs and
games, such as Doom.  I'm sure other cameras have similar capabilities.
Anyhow, here is a snippet from my Kodak and what it can do with a little
command line program:

"DigiCam 1.20"

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/

here's the program run without arguments to give you an idea what it can
do (and I have used it for a very high resolution web cam :)

[dattaway at attaway digicam-1.20]$ ./cam
Kodak DC21x Digital Camera utility by timecop [timecop at japan.co.jp]

	Usage:
	-s devname	Use devname for camera port (/dev/ttyS0 for
example)
	-q		Minimum messages to console [script use]

	-i [n]		Display Camera [ or picture n ] information
	-n		Display number of pictures in camera
	-d n		Delete image number n from camera
	-D		Delete all images from camera
	-t [filename]	Take a picture, save to filename
	-r [n] [fname]	Retrieve picture n, save as fname
	-R		Retrieve all pictures, save as imageNNN.jpg

	-z 1|0		Set resolution to [1:High,0:Low]
	-Q 1-3		Set JPEG quality. [1:Best,2:Better,3:Good]
	-Z 0..4 | 5	Set zoom.
[0:58mm,1:51mm,2:41mm,3:34mm,4:29mm,5:Macro]
	-f 0-4		Flash setting. [0:Auto,1:Flash,2:NoFlash]
				       [3:RedEyeAuto,4:RedEyeFlash]

	Some options can be combined, for example:
	cam -s /dev/camera -z 0 -q -f 1 -t webcam.jpg