smooth surfing Was: ...NAT users

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Mon Jan 28 21:59:23 CST 2002

On Mon, Jan ,  at 03:44:12PM -0600, Duston, Hal wrote:
> JD Runyan [mailto:Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov] wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan ,  at 02:35:15PM -0600, Duston, Hal wrote:
> > >
> > > Look at your gas bill, or your electricity bill, or your
> > > water bill.  They all have _exactly_ this type of charge.
> > > At least mine do.
> > >
> > Uh, no they don't.  You are expiring the resource.  More
> > must be made, mided/drilled, or processed.  This is not
> > the case with bandwidth.  Could someone tell me what you
> > are expiring other than a nominal amount of electricity.
> > Don't say bandwidth, bits, bits/sec etc.  Those are all
> > measurements of capacity, potential, or flow. And do not
> > represent something being used.  When I turn on my water
> > tap I have used n Gallons of water.  I have never paid
> > the water company to ensure that I get a water
> > flow of n gallons/sec.
>
> But what is the difference between dial-up, and DSL besides
> capacity/bandwidth/latency?  Should all these cost the same?

I never said that. As a matter of fact I have said the oposite.
You pay for capacity.  You may pay for reliability in the case
that someone uses 56K frame instead of 56K dial-up for services.
You may pay for time, as in the case of ISDN, a dial-up type service.
You do not pay for transfer.  You may pay web hosts for transfer.
You may pay some website that provides you some service for transfer.
Sure the cable/dsl company may try, but they will not have me for a
customer, because I will go to the other guy who doesn't.  The companies
need to find the price point where they mazimize profit.  This is the
point where they have the most possible users paying the highest possible
rate.  This is more easily achieved with a flat rate.  Yes in
truth the users who demand the fast connection, but use it a small
amount of time a day finance the lines more than the guy without a
job downloading pr0n all day.  This is a consumer level service.  I would
not use DSL nor Cable for a business.  Businesses need more predictability
of how there network will perform.  I don't include the one person home
office when I say businesses. As a business you do not want your connection
to slow down because other customers have increased thier usage, like
you get on DSL/Cable public networks.  That is why businesses by business
class services.

JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."
			David M. Kuehn, Ph.D.