Firewalls (was Comcast Paranoia)

David Carter dcarter at datarecall.net
Fri Jan 25 17:33:58 CST 2002

Jonathan,

I am on DSL, with phone line into DSL modem, with modem into a Linksys
Instant Broadband Etherfast Cable/DSL router, with 4-port 10/100 switch",
Model No. BEFSR41 V.2, with 2 computers attached to the Linksys.  I have
ZoneAlarm installed on the HDs to warn me of things coming in and trying to
go out.

Are there changes I can make to the Linksys software configuration to
accomplish what you suggested, "All internal machine-specific info should be
stripped by the firewall and replaced by it's own identification scheme."
Or, do I need specific "firewall" software?  Any suggested product? (running
Win ME until I partition 40gb HD, then delete ME and install Linux and
Mandrake).

David Carter