From Slashdot: Comcast goes after NAT users

Jeremy Fowler, CNA jfowler at westrope.com
Fri Jan 25 16:24:24 CST 2002

I doubt they will try to see what types of PC's are behind a firewall. Port
scanning is very intrusive. And for the most part, all you would be scanning is
the NAT device or firewall. What they probably will do is setup some type of
packet sniffer device similar to the FBI's carnivore on their network. This
device will probably scan for packets that have the same IP address, but
different MAC addresses. Since you only use the one IP address Comcast gives you
with IP Masquerading, they would be able to spot you if you had multiple PCs
behind the firewall. I'm sure they will account for people who replace their
NICs, and first target the people with the highest count of different MAC
addresses. If you just have one PC using a broadband router as a firewall, they
probably won't bother you since your MAC address will always be the same. Then
again, I could be wrong. But whatever they do, I'm sure they will try to keep it
a secret to prevent people from figuring out ways to get around it.

One possible workaround is to write a module for iptables that not only
masquerades the IP address, but the MAC address as well. Or you could move...
;-) Time Warner Cable doesn't have any restrictions that I'm aware of... yet.

I wonder what would happen if someone were to bring this to court? Maybe
something like this will reverse that whole non-compete law and allow cable
companies to go at it again. Imagine cable companies offering digital cable
channels and faster broadband at competitive prices. ;-)

-Jeremy