Battle for bandwidth

Paul paul at kcnetcare.com
Tue Jan 22 05:33:28 CST 2002

Hal,
Only layer 2 devices look at MAC addresses, like ATM switches and
switches. IP is layer 3, and routers or IP "anything" do not touch the
MAC. The MAC is only used when a device has a layer 3 address on the
same subnet as the destination. ANDing determines if the destination is
on the same subnet. If it is, then an ARP cache lookup is done, if found
it sends the frames to the destination. If it's not in ARP cache, the
machine does an ARP broadcast. If ANDing determines it's not on the same
subnet, then the frames are packetized and sent to the default gateway.
The MAC address never changes from source machine in normal networking,
including NATing or IPMASQing. Programmers can change it, if it does
change, no frames will ever come back to your machine. No other machines
know how to communicate with it. It's basic networking.

I wish I knew Linux as well as networking...

Paul