Battle for bandwidth

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Jan 21 17:54:43 CST 2002

> There are ways to determine if someone is masking layer 3 (IP) addresses.
> Just snoop the MAC address in the packets, only takes a bit of processing
> power. Tony is correct, never ask for it, try it and see what happens.

Only thing is, _all_ packets behind an IP firewall, will go out with the
_same_ MAC address since the MAC address changes on every hop.  Otherwise
the destination device wouldn't know where it came from.  I am pretty
sure this true anyway.  You can check this by looking at the MAC addresses
from different remote sites as the come _into_ your network/machine.  I am
willing to bet that they all have the MAC address of the upstream device.

Hal