UPDATE: Build system from scratch?

dfallin at kc.rr.com dfallin at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 18:24:28 CST 2002

Ok....   Thanks for all the links I will have to check them out.

Thanks also for the local resources.  When I (we) have decided what system
configuration seems to be the best fit I (we) can do some comparison
shopping at all the resources that we have.

I cant remember I think Lance asked me about my video
requirements/desires.  I would like to be able to burn DVD Movies, and to
use my computer as somethine like a VCR.  I actually currently have this
setup on my current system.  I can capture video/audio which I save in
DIVX format.  There is suppose to be a way to save those files to CD using
VIDEO CD format so that I can burn them to a CD and then still watch them
on my DVD player.  One problem with this is that I can only store about
680 Meg to a CD.  I would evently like to save shows that I have recorded
or movies that I currently have on tape to DVD.  This would allow me to
archive movies/TV shows in a very compact manner and at my fingertips.

As for Video editing, sure I would like to dabble in that some, but I
havent looked for a video editor for Linux yet.  I suppose if I had to I
could get something for windows.  I would prefer to do everything in Linux
and I only will have my windows partition for supporting my clients
through work.  :)

Ok....  I am thinking of possibly this setup so far.  Keep in mind that I
am trying for performance while keeping the price somewhat reasonable.
You know I want my cake and eat it too.  :)

 Motherboard Abit KR7A VIA KT266A XP Ready 4DDR
 CPU ATHLON XP1700+(1.47GHZ) SOCKET A (266Mhz BUS) .18
 Memory PC2100(266MHZ BUS) 512MB ECC DDR

 I currently have a Maxtor 40 Gig Drive which I will use at first and then
add another drive later with more storage.  I would like to have in the
range of 100 Gig or more for storage of Video files.

I dont know what case I want or which one will seem to fit my needs at
this point.  Any suggestions on Cases?

Same thing with DVD-Recorder?  Any suggestions?

Something else that I would like some discussion on is the choice of SCSI,
FireWire, IDE, etc.. for the DVD-Recorder and CD-ROM.  I currently have my
CD-R using an  Adaptec SCSI 2940UW card.  I like this setup very much.
For one I dont have to do scsi emulation for my CD Burner in Linux.

Ok..  well this should be a good start.

Let the suggestions begin.  :)

Thanks

Daryl