The Things from The Basement

Jim Herrmann Jim at ItDepends.com
Thu Jan 17 04:12:21 CST 2002

Jonathan,

This group operates a littlebit  like linux does.  It's free, nobody is
really in charge, but it works.  Actually we do spend a little money here and
there, like on the Red Hat CDs we burned, and Hal is sort of in charge
because he books the free room at the library and maintains the web site, but
it does work for it's purpose.

It works without much work on anybody's part, and at no cost to the members.
I'm currently the president of the Heart of America DB2 Users Group, and that
group is run completely differently.  It costs money to attend, we rent a
auditorium sized room at the BTA for our quarterly meetings, we provide
lunch, meetings are held during the day, we have a whole officer structure to
take care of all the details, and it's a lot of work for these people.

Personally, I think both groups are appropriate for their respective target
audiences.  DB2 people are corporate IT folks that are used to spending money
for more formal training, and Linux people are used to belonging to a
community were the product is free, and you get out of it what you put into.
This is not to say that you can't be both, as I am, obviously.

If you would like to have more structure and hierarchy, you are welcome to
try and drum up support for it.

Didn't mean for this to be a diatribe on the relative benefits of user group
structures, but I felt that I had information to offer.  I hope that clears
it up for you.