transcript of ethereal presentation?

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Wed Jan 16 20:23:52 CST 2002

HI Lugites,

I knew I would be sorry I missed the ethereal presentation, and I am.
Would it be possible to get a transcript of the presentation?  I am
beginning research into ethereal in hopes of clearing up some frame
relay mysteries here.

Maybe someone can help....any network engineers lurking out there??

Recently went to a Sprint T1 frame realy WAN between our office here in
O.P. and several offices around the U.S.  We have noticed latency on the
frame when our users are on the system (i.e., they'll be typing
away...the screen stops, and then catches up after a few second
delay...(like it's buffering???)).  Anyone know why this might be
happening?  I installed and ran mrtg to observe traffic over the frame.
I can see high areas of traffic across certain routers, and then almost
minimal traffic on other routers.  I need to find out what kind of
traffic this is, and why it so high in some areas and not others.

So, will ethereal let me look at the types of packets, etc?  Will
ethereal let me look at traffic on other nodes on the wan, or just the
node it is installed on? If not, is there a packet analyzing tool for
Linux bouncing around out there in the open-source world?  Would tcpdump
help if I knew how to read what it showed me?

TIA,
Eric