my experience with Dell (was: build from scratch?)

Eric Gilliland jegilliland at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 19:59:24 CST 2002

Dear Daryl,

I have a 6 month old Dell Dimension 8100 and I am very happy with it.  It is
P4 1.3GHz, 256 megs RAM, a NVIDIA 32 meg video card, a 40 gig HD, a cd-dvd,
and a cd-rw.  I have had no problems with it at all, at least as far as the
computer itself.  It came with Win ME, but I have since done a clean install
of XP.  It is now set to dual boot Win XP and Mandrake Linux 8.1.  The only
thing I changed is I put in a linux compatible modem, because I forgot to
get one when I ordered.  I have only called customer support once, while
installing the new modem, and found it to be good.  I had to call because
there was a wire conecting my modem and my sound card.  They told me that I
could remove it if I was installing a hardware modem (which, of course, I
was) and I did and it worked fine.  The wait was about 10 minutes, on a
friday night.  I have had some minor problems getting mandrake set up right
but these are hardly Dell's fault.  Overall, I am very happy with my Dell
and would buy another one.

Just my 2 cents,

Eric Gilliland