D-link DI704 & Comcast Cable or SBC DSL?

Chris Hoelscher mohoel at telocity.com
Mon Jan 14 23:24:03 CST 2002

I have what is probably a couple of dumb questions, but I'll ask
anyway.  I am getting ready to swith 'net providers, and my options are
SBC DSL or Comcast cable modem in Blue Springs, MO.  My biggest question
is with the interface.  I have a D-link DI704 front-ending my internal
network.  Will it work as a NAT 'router' for both SBC and Comcast or do
one (or both) of them do something 'special' that would require more?

I've heard that with Comcast it's set up in such a way that it starts
when the PC starts (presuming a PC is the device connected) but don't
have any 'friends' with Comcast that are willing to let me tinker with
their set-up to try to figure out what it actually takes. I don't have
any friends with SBC DSL....

Are they straight DHCP or PPoE?  My D-link says it can do either (I
currently have Static).

My biggest problem is not only am I cheap (don't have money to spend
'experimenting'), but I work from home, so my link is vital - don't have
time to be down too long trying this-n-that!

I'm leaning towards Comcast, but would probably be fine with SBC as
well.  Of course, if anyone has any 'real-life' comments about service
in the Jackson County, MO area, I'd welcome that input as well.

Thanks -
Chris.