M$ alteration of MY hardware

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Jan 14 17:40:08 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

> Well it is possible that Microsoft could make the modem unusable by any
> other OS. All they would have to do is flash the modem ROM, which they
> have the code to do. Then in the new ROM all it would take is to scan a
> certain address at the base of the memory stack for a certain string,

I think perhaps in this broadband age, too many people are forgetting how
modems work.

Yes, they do have flash ROMs.  No, this doesn't mean you can implement and
execute arbitrary code on the modem as if it were a computer.

If you were to change the modem's operation so that it would not respond to
Linux, it's highly unlikely that it would respond to Windows.

And remember, even XP is only an incremental change in Windows.  It's not a
ground-up re-write with a new way of doing everything.