M$ alteration of MY hardware

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jan 14 15:47:11 CST 2002

Well it is possible that Microsoft could make the modem unusable by any
other OS. All they would have to do is flash the modem ROM, which they
have the code to do. Then in the new ROM all it would take is to scan a
certain address at the base of the memory stack for a certain string,
let's say "Microsoft". They did this same exact thing in Windows386 in
beta; they left the code in place in the release version, but disabled
it. What it did was pop up a big red screen warning the user that the
DOS they were running wasn't Microsoft DOS and might cause the computer
to lock up.

Am I that paranoid, no. But they certainly have the low morals to do it,
and the ability to.
More than likely it is flipping memory spaces, BIOS settings, and IRQs.
You should pull down a pci scan utility and run it. If you can't detect
it in a pci scan then something is very wrong. You may have to give the
actual pci slot to scan to find it. Also you may not have the module for
it loaded, if it has one.