running X remotely

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Thu Feb 28 14:28:49 CST 2002

I'm trying to run X remotely with eXcursion.  When I connect to our Sun
servers, the color looks fine.  However, when I connect to the Linux box
that I just tweaked to run XDMCP, the color depth is ugly 8-bpp.  I
recognized this since I had a hell of a time learning how to set the
color depth at home.  When I run X windows on the Linux box, the color
is fine.  I know how to configure the depth in XF86Config, and I removed
every entry except the 16 bpp "Display" element.  My "terminal" machine
has much better hardware than the remote Linux host, so this shouldn't
be the problem.

Also, when I start up eXcursion, I get a series of  "couldn't find some
font path element" dialogs.  The permissions on these files look
globally readable.  Any ideas?