Linux in Schools

MBSmith at dstsystems.com MBSmith at dstsystems.com
Wed Feb 27 18:23:47 CST 2002

My brother-in-law is the CFO of North Kansas City School District, and
after giving him a quick run down in the Linux state of affairs, he
responded with the following:

quote
I talked with our IT Director about your questions and received the
following response:

Primary reasons:

1) Most of the software products we purchase for education are developed
for Microsoft and Novell. (NCS, Alice, Versatrans, Boss Horizon, CCC,
Paws, etc)

2) Our students need to be exposed to microsoft as it is the primary
operating system utilized in businesses.

3) Most employees we hire from the outside have Microsoft and Novell
experiences already.

You maybe able to give us some new ideas on the uses of Linux.  Anytime
you have any info just let me know.  See you
soon.............Thanks...............Paul Harrell
end quote

I think I'll work on him from a $$ aspect, and give him some solid case
info where it's helped organisations.  I have to start somewhere....

For the record, here's what I asked him;
quote
[intro snipped]
Through KCLUG email 'chatting', the question of Linux in schools has been
raised, and I was wondering if you are aware if this alternative has ever
been discussed for use in the school system?  While it may be impractical
to remove all exposure to Windows from students right now, seeing as it's
the current primary business environment, this will certainly be less of
an issue in future, and exposing them to Linux now will give them a head
start.  Also, migrating to a Linux administration infrustructure will
certainly influence the operating bottom line - as quite a few government
agencies throughout the world are discovering, throwing off the Microsoft
licensing burden (shackles) and defining your own upgrade path and
schedules can be very liberating.  This may be something your IT people
have already discussed with you, but I warn you - if they're Microsoft
lackeys, they'll be scared of Linux for no other reason than they don't
know what it's like to let go of MS's apron strings.

End of spiel, here's a few links for reference:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23413.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23667.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/23470.html
end quote