Head & Rotor VE(CHINA-LuTong) 2/23

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Tue Feb 26 17:53:47 CST 2002

Although I am in agreement with the suggestion to
drop this thread (via argumentum ad absurdum, which
means you mention 'Nazi' and see how the conversation
devolves), I'd like to make one tiny rant.

<rant>
I was on the Internet, receiving mail at a BITNET
account at UMKC when Tiannamen Square went down (1989).

The Chinese gov was smart enough to shut down all
access to journalists, closing down phone lines, faxes,
completely blacking out the media for several days
(US Embassy reports provided a lot of info, though).

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB16/documents/index.html

However, little ole me continued to receive a steady stream
of detailed frontline information from people who were using
a medium unknown to the Chinese gov: university e-mail
accounts. Students were running off the streets to
type in what they saw, sending e-mail to various
listservers around the world.

And there, right there in China, the Internet
revolution began. It was the first time in history
the Internet became the single most reliable source
of detailed information for a major historical event.

Thus, I've always been keen to watch what news comes from
China via the Internet, because they're approaching
us from such a distant era, it seems. Yes, they have
technology to match ours in a minute flat, but their
culture is still largely agrarian-based. Within the next
three decades, we'll see a cultural flood from China,
through the channel of individuals breaking through
their middlemen like Bosch, and communicating directly
to us. I am really excited to watch this unfurl, as I
have watched the past decade unfurl.

That's all.
</rant>