Adding a hard drive

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Wed Feb 20 21:43:10 CST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Michael Pratt wrote:
> Option 1:
> I am running RH 7.2 and I want to add a hard drive to it. Correct me if I'm
> wrong, Once installed I run fdisk to set it up. This is the tricky part I
> want to add mor space to my /var/www/html/ directory is it possible to
> assign the partition as /var without losing any data and basically
> increasing its size?  If not how can I configure apache to point to the new
> partion without modifying apache too much?

Michael,
This is _close_ to what I generally do in a situation such as yours.
I'm under the influence of some heave narcotics having had my tonsils
out this morning, so I'm a) likely to steer a bit wrong and b) likely to
be less than complete... I think you'll get the jest of my
recommendations however.

What I generally do is install the new hard drive and create my new
partition with fdisk.  I create a mount point in /mnt such as
/mnt/newdrive, and mount the new drive.

Then I take the machine into single user mode, and move everything from
the partition I'm replacing (in your case /dev) to the new drive.  Then
I swap mount points in /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab as appropriate.  Then a
reboot.

Remainder of list folks: how am I doing on this?  I'm sure there is a
better way, and perhaps even implications I'm not aware of.  Would love
to "know better" if need be for future reference.

Dustin

--
Feeling amorous, she looked under the sheets and cried, "Oh, no, it's
Microsoft!"