Adding a hard drive

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Feb 20 14:31:51 CST 2002

[note: This may not be accurate to your situation, but I'll try]

I would recommend option 1.

 Nano HOWTO (or better hints):
   1. install, fdisk, and mkfs disk (ext2,ext3,reiserfs).
   2. mount new partition(s) to /var/www/html/[hosted domain(s)]

   or if you need to copy stuff from the old partition first
   2a. mount new partition(s) to /mnt/[hosted domain(s)]
   3a. copy data, umount and remount to /var/www/html...

   or you could use LVM to manage the disks
   2b. see LVM howto, I could look it up and quote it here, but
       it's better from the source
       http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO-1.html
       this is the best solution because then you can add and remove
disk space
       to any directory tree you want to and never worry about losing
data because
       you mounted a new partition over an old one.
[caution: You cannot mount a new partition on /var and still be able to
read anything
 that was in the /var tree. It will mount over top of it and "hide" all
the old files.
 Without knowing your partition scheme it is difficult to be more
specific. But there
 are lots of ways to add space to the /var filesystem with the new disk]

Option 2 would be a DNS entry not an apache thing; yes quite easy to do,
just add a DNS entry for the site.

Brian

 "Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
one from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
one OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."  john thrum

www.myhost.com
it gets forwarded to the new internal system of 192.168.0.7. What is the

easiest means of doing this?

Im thinking Option two would be the easiest means of hosting the second
domain.

Thanks for your help!

Mike