new distro (and versioning)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Feb 12 15:38:01 CST 2002

> BTW, before I forget... a little bit unrelated, but... did
> anybody else read
> the article about Subversion in (I believe) Linuxformat this month?
> (Brian?)  It's a proposed replacement for CVS that sounds
> like it tracks
> previous versions and will allows better rollbacks... might there be
> something in the code for this that could be used for
> updating and tracking
> changes in distros?
CVS tracks previous versions. CVS isn't limited to just software. It is
tracking files. It can track this project. I remember seeing Subversion
mentioned somewhere, but forgot about it.

I'll take a look at that and see which one to use. You're timing is
great, too. I
was just getting ready to install CVS on the new disk I'm building.
Hopefully tonight
I can get everything on that disk. and try it out as a local server for
a little while.

Of course I'll have to determine which versioning system to use. :'o

Oh the joys of starting a project. You'd think I would have learned
better from my first
project experience. But Nooooo I have keep punishing myself. :')

While I'm here. It has been suggested that, the new distro thread maybe
should be on
it's own list. So I'm asking all of you if you feel it is cross-talk or,
maybe should be taken somewhere else, or whether to keep it here on the
list? I was kind of thinking of this a
a good project for the LUG, but I wouldn't want to impose on the LUG
something not wanted.

Thanks, for all the great feedback. I'm going to print off my mailbox,
'cause I'll never remember all this otherwise. Guess it's time to build
a project book. ;')

Thanks again,
Brian