Changing IP Addresses

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 12 03:34:57 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: JD Runyan <Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov>
To: <kclug at kclug.org>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Changing IP Addresses

> 1) The desktop applications must provide the ease of use, and the totality
of the
>    functionality that MS products provide.
> 2) The psychological barrier of something different.  People like
predictability

Good analysis... read "Linux for NT Administrators"... IMHO, the biggest
barriers are the learning curve... installed software base... and
interoperability with legacy systems... solution: make the GUI more familiar
to Mic and Mac users... include as many native Linux apps that are similar
to the ones they would expect to find... where they would expect to find
them (that's why I prefer GNOME... more configurable... you put the personal
menu on top and configure it any way you want... and hide all the others...
but they would still be there for more advanced users...) --include
something like Wine by default for all those DOS-based apps/games that there
is no equivalent for that people just can't do without... and have something
like Lin Neighborhood/Samba to allow easy network browsing/file sharing with
all those legacy machines...