System Configuration [Was: Changing IP Addresses]

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Wed Feb 6 18:30:26 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony Hammitt" <thammitt at kc.rr.com>

> OK, so what it comes down to is that we need ... a universal standard
> way of storing and updating information.

We had that.  I believe it's covered under the SysV init scripts standard,
which specifies where the network configuration data and other info is read
from.

Then the microsoftizers went and cobbled up Linuxconf, which runs after the
init scripts and changes stuff.  Stupid, really stupid.

We have the standards already, it's just a matter of getting lazy
programmers to learn them and stick to them instead of reinventing their own
square wheels.