Was AOL letter, now forking

Adam Turk ATURK at waddell.com
Wed Feb 6 16:11:58 CST 2002

Can you deny that C is now a dead language? Which, yes one can write
code in and it will generally compile on any compiler, but it is being
left at the wayside for tasks it used to be the one and only best use
for. Why? It can't change. The analogy goes something like this: A mason
who makes his own bricks is asked to build a tall tower. He begins with
a single brick, which he works with lovingly and molds to fit the space.
He does this for every brick in the base. One can not build a tower on
wet bricks, so the base must first solidify. Once the base has
solidified, he molds another layer of bricks and so on. Eventually, the
bricks at the base, unchanging and hard, are uninteresting and only
noticed in passing. The bricks with which the mason is currently working
are the ones that can change to meet the need. Thus the still-wet bricks
are the living art, the canvas, the frontier. No one will forget the
base, but it can no longer meet the changing need of the current. It is
rigid.

Lamentable that.

The point is, (which I should have qualified) the unstandardized system
can change, is art. Is the Unix kernel prevalent on PCs? No, the Linux
kernel is prevalent. (not as much as it ought to be) When things on a
standards-fearing system are changed, that system is thrown out for not
conforming. Even if it met a need that was valid. I should not say that
standards are wrong. We need a base. But, I do not believe this
consortium has created general standards. These are specific standards,
meant only to optimize for greatest commercial value. Least cost to most
profit.

Summation of Argument:
-The cutting edge is the realm of the artist, the hacker, the pioneer
-General standards are a necessity for productivity and structured
change, specific standards are oppressive and choking.
-Big business can fill the *nix end-user vaccum, but it will still suck.

Adam

Flames are annoying. So 8^P .

You swing at the Sun.  You miss.  The Sun swings.  He hits you with a
575MB disk!  You read the 575MB disk.  It is written in an alien
tongue and cannot be read by your tired Sun-2 eyes.  You throw the
575MB disk at the Sun.  You hit!  The Sun must repair your eyes.  The
Sun reads a scroll.  He hits your 130MB disk!  He has defeated the
130MB disk!  The Sun reads a scroll.  He hits your Ethernet board!  He
has defeated your Ethernet board!  You read a scroll of "postpone until
Monday at 9 AM".  Everything goes dark...