Installfest

John Lindinger jilindi at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 00:39:46 CST 2002

The RedHad graphical installer won't run on 16MB of memory (much less on 8MB), I know
this from experience on an older dual Pentium pro server that was unable to report ram
beyond 16mb. The text based installer which ran by default with 16mb reported still
thrashed the hard drive due to memory swaps and consequently the install was painfully
slow. I had to type in a boot command to correctly report installed memory of 128mb and
then the install went smoothly.

I'd say you should add the minimum RAM that is recommended or forget RH 7.  I don't
recall the minimum but the red hat site (www.redhat.com) should have that info. I know
64mb would be satisfactory.

Also, my dual pentium pro 200mhz is not not too bad in the X window environment, but I'd
bet the 33mhz system would have unsatisfactory results for the GUI.

simply my opinion,
John Lindinger