Changing IP Addresses

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Feb 4 18:15:44 CST 2002

---- Original Message -----
From: "Prof. Jerry Place" <place at modeling.cstp.umkc.edu>

>    I don't mind the Microsoft presence but its utility cannot compare to
> my Linux system even though Linux is complex and requires significant
> arcane administration.

A recent article about choosing an OS mentioned that Linux requires the
equivalent of strapping on a toolbelt every time you want to do more than
the basic use of existing software, and I think that metaphore does capture
the feel of it.  Every time I try to access one more feature or menu item, I
find myself spending a couple of hours investigating why it doesn't work and
how to get it working.

Because of that, because it's less familiar, and because the current
versions of KDE and the available Web Browsers all respond much slower than
my Windows config, I tend to use Windows when I want to get something done,
and to run Linux when I feel like playing around with the computer and
learning something newer.

Someone mentioned that Gnome seems to run faster, and I agree, but I think
that's because it's running on a lighter-weight, less feature-filled
manager.

I'm looking forward to trying newer versions of some of the Gnome software
like Evolution, once they're available for Mandrake 8.1, or possibly seeing
Mandrake 8.2 if it comes out soon.