Gentoo n00b help

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Tue Dec 31 18:12:47 CST 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Apollo wrote:

> I have tried RedHat a few times but always get frustrated with the RPM
> bullsh*t and give up.

You too, eh?

> are a couple of commands which I need to run on start up.  I have to run
> these commands at the prompt after the system starts.
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> dhcpcd eth0
> hdparm -X66 /dev/hdb

These can be put in the startup scripts.  The first two can be set in your
default runlevel with the command:

rc-update add net.eth0 default

...and configure the eth0 interface in the file /etc/conf.d/net with the
line:

iface_eth0="dhcp"

and a good place to put your hdparm command is in the local.start file in
that directory.

rc-update is the command to add or delete other startup scripts in the
/etc/init.d directory.  The /etc/conf.d is your directory for configuring
those scripts.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150