CTRL + ALT + BS and Gnome RH 8.0

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Dec 28 16:18:12 CST 2002

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Advancewarning wrote:

> Ok im confused. I reloaded Redhat and for some reason Gnome gets trashed
> after hitting CTRL + ALT + BS then when you try and log in again (even
> after a reboot) it hangs and the desktop never comes back up just the
> background. whats the trick to this and recovering from it?

Just a background?  Sounds like the window manager is not firing up.  The
window manager is responsible for creating your desktop.  I'd try changing
it if gnome gives you a choice.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were some window managers written
in the past that just had to probe and resolve things on the internet
before engaging their brain cells.  If that's the case, it might not be a
bad idea to choose another window manager.

If all else fails, go shopping for a fancy window editor with the level of
eye candy that looks good for your needs:

http://www.plig.org/xwinman/

Sometimes its a blessing when things break, because it encourages us to
search a better replacement specific for our desires and needs.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150