Nvidia Drivers...

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Dec 28 15:38:57 CST 2002

On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, MdG wrote:

> If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it.  I've been
> trying to get these darned Nvidia drivers installed on Mandrake 9 for weeks!
>
> I've gotten other errors in the past...but here is where I am now. (see cmd
> and err below).
>
> [root at localhost nvidia]# rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90up.i586.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>         kernel >= 2.2.0 is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90up
>         rpm >= 3.0.4 is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90up
>         /bin/sh   is needed by NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.mdk90up

RPM appears not to have the ability to automatically find and install
things it needs.  But you can avoid RPM if you want to compile from the
source.

You will need:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4191

two files to download, the kernel driver and the glx graphics driver.
Details how to compile and install are in the documentation.  What is it?
Its a binary driver with a source wrapper that needs to be compiled for
your specific kernel.  That's why RPM gets interesting.

***

If you ever feel brave enough to try gentoo someday, it was easy as all
those steps were reduced to this one command:

emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

... and the driver was automatically installed, module loaded, and ready
for X to start.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://attaway.net                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150